Friday, July 16, 2010

The Adventures in Babysitting

Denise was here for a week "Babysitting" me whilst Micah was off on his uber male surfer trip in Nicaragua.

It was so nice to have her here keeping me company and helping me and I finally got to meet Lucia, the cutest baby ever!

I really don't know where to began to tell about the Shenanigans we got into.  Murphy's Law was in full effect this week!

I'll just make a list to remember

Bad things Day One:
-Drop Denise's Sports Bottle and break it
-Forget to bring a bottle for Lucia (Denise subs formula once in a while)
-A creepy dude looks like he is taking pictures of us on his iPhone-I pull out my iPhone and show him how it feels
-Arrive at Union Station to find out that they sold out of trolley tickets
-Last elevator out broken
-Use the escalator to get back to metro, with a stroller, only to get stuck on the last step and almost get seriously hurt or killed
-Get laughed at and gawked at, instead of helped, by teenagers and other people watching
-Give them the business and set them straight!
-Denise has to B-feed on the metro, in the middle of an art museum, on the street, and finally on the national mall

Day 2 Terrible, Horrible, Verrrrrry Bad Day
-Eat lunch on at the National Cathedral and get harassed by a black (yes, black) squirrel with a deformed tail who I feel sorry for but am scared of at the same time and want to go away.  I lure him away with some chips, which Denise swears she can never eat again.
-Wait 20 mins in the sweltering heat for a trolley that will never come because it breaks down right before getting to us
-Decide to be proactive, cancel our tickets, and buy tickets with a different tour bus company
-Catch that bus only to have to break down on the Arlington Bridge.  It's in the upper 90s outside, Arlington Cemetery , the closest landmark with a lobby is more than a 20 minute walk (I'm 8 months pregnant, Lucia is 5 months old-get the picture)
-Bus driver manages to get the bus going again
-Almost get to the Lincoln Memorial-Bus BREAKS DOWN AGAIN!!!!!!!!
-We get the (H-E-double hockey sticks) off as soon as it stops rolling
-Hang out at the Lincoln Memorial for a while and jump on the next bus
-Get off at the Smithsonian Castle, wait in the rain for the last bus.  Lucia has a melt down.  No Nap all day.  Poor Kid-I'm sorry
-Miss the last bus to Union Station to make it back up to Cathedral (where our car is parked) and have to figure out the metro to get back to the car
-Wanna cry but keep it together...not funny anymore
-Figure out the metro, have to try to figure out where to catch the local bus to get us back to the car!
-See the stupid tour bus turning toward us, finally something good, flag him down and make him stop for us!
-Get a little lost finding the freeway to get home after we finally reach the car (I asked a police man who was pulled over and he helped)
-Try to pull over at Chipotle for some dinner
-Denise goes in to bring some food back to the car to me and runs out 2 seconds later-she was not standing in that crazy line
-Get home to Braxton Hicks Contractions that calm down after I take a bath

Day 3 Not so bad but still, come on!
-Go looking for alligator clips to make hair clips for the babies (a mellow activity for us to do)-No one has them (not walmart, micheals, target, or joanns)
-Get woken up at 2am by the carbon monoxide alarm, goes off twice, call emergency maintenance only to be told the batteries are probably running out so don't unplug it (because it might set the others off) and let it die.  It stops after a while.

Day 4 Are you kidding me
-Get woken up by an earthquake in Maryland.  Weak by California standards but 3.6 is the largest to hit this area in 35 years

Day 5
-Change Lucia's diaper and she poops and throws up on my bed-it's pay back time from the other day
-Find out my brother in law has to go in to have a kidney stone surgically removed, after bringing home his wife from the hospital, after having their second daughter 2 days ago
-Talk to my mom and find out my Uncle has Lung Cancer

So not so good stuff happening around me but still alive, healthy, and Happy that Baby Zellie is staying in my belly for a little longer.  Denise and I really did have a good time after we decided we'd stay local and just eat yummy food and watch movies and do girly stuff like get pedicures and eat at Cheesecake Factory for lunch! 

Oh and by the way...
After the Rain Storm comes the Rainbow.  So I can laugh about the ridiculousness of it all now! 

4 comments:

denise said...

tell me about it! I know exactly what youre talking about!

Cami said...

Seriously! That is a crazy time. i can't believe that earthquake! Very strange. Anywho, your first mistake was to ever leave your house. At about 8 months, ONE of those things would have made me burst into tears. Just stay at home and watch TV. There. Much better. :)

Gabby said...

wow! that is ridiculous! I'm still laughing. glad you girls can laugh too :D

Melanie and Jared said...

Those are some serious problems! The DC part seemed terrible! And it always happens at the worse time, pregnant, new mom, no husband!

Blog Archive